Friday, June 28, 2013

Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2011

When I savaged this vineyard's Chardonnay a few years ago I swore to myself I'd never buy anything from then again. But-- alright, let's not beat around the bush, I forgot -- I picked this bottle up. What these people have done is to create a spectrum shift. Their Chardonnay tastes like a Riesling, so sweet as to be well nigh undrinkable. This Sauvignon Blanc tastes almost like a Chardonnay, fruit forward, mostly passion fruit, with the barest hint of the famous New Zealand mown grass element. It's what in German is called " lieblich", which translates roughly into semi sweet. If that's your thing, by all means go ahead. The price of $9.99, however, is a good two dollars above the market. Does anyone know what's happening, or rather not happening in the PA state senate?

No comments: